Thursday, January 2, 2014

Paying Attention

Verse of the day:
Abishai brother of Joab and son of Zeruaiah was the head of the Thirty. he once got credit for killing three hundred with his spear, but he was never named in the same breath as the Three. 2 Samuel 23:18

A lot of the time society pays attention to the wrong things, and the wrong people. We pay attention to people who shouldn't be getting that attention. The two major examples of this that I can think of are Miley Cyrus and Charlie Sheen.

Sure, Miley Cyrus started out well. She was clean, she was a good role model, she was outspoken about her faith and she was on a tween TV show - Hannah Montana. But then she started going off the rails - nude photoshoots, drugs, and, more recently, raunchy lyrics and videos. Last year, her big hit was Wrecking Ball, and she twerks in her underwear. And what does she get for this questionable behavior? Attention. She had the most searches on yahoo.com in 2013.

And then there's Charlie Sheen. Granted, I've never been a fan of his, but I remember when he got kicked off Two And A Half Men for bad behavior. And everyone knew he'd been doing drugs for ages. But what did he get for that? Attention. That story was really big on social media.

Also, when was the first time I learnt who Angelina Jolie was? When she broke up the marriage of Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt.

Why do we always seem to idolize people who exhibit bad behavior? I really want kids one day, and I'm going to be very careful how I parent them. I don't want them turning on the TV or the computer and watching raunchy music videos, or listening to songs about sex or being high or hungover or with swear words in them.

God tells us to think of things that are good and pure (Philippians 4:8). When Miley's latest questionable behavior is in the news, or when I hear that Lindsay Lohan's been arrested again, I like to turn it around by praying for them. Because sometimes I think celebrities need our prayers most of all.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment