Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How Free Are You?

Verse of the day:
This matter arose, because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves. Galatians 2:4

This is how I feel about 9/11.

When 9/11 happened, even though I grew up here in Australia, I was 14 and in Grade 9. 9/11 was the first world news I was old enough to pay attention to (other than Princess Diana dying, and even then I only knew because my mum made a fuss about it). I remember the night before, mum and I had gone to see Bridget Jones' Diary, which was fun - at 14 years of age I didn't get out to see movies much. Although, by the way, I now hate that movie because I associate it with feelings of guilt - guilt that I was having so much fun while other people were suffering.

Anyway, the next morning - Wednesday morning - I woke up and mum told me what had happened. She told me it was world news and a big deal. I remember thinking yeah, right. But once I got to school and we watched the news on TV - no classes - I knew she was right.

I was thankful and so amazed and awed at God (I had only become a christian on Christmas Day the year before) when I learnt about the pentagon - and what it meant.

I had a best friend at that time. She may not be my best friend anymore, but she is my oldest friend and our families have grown up together, so she's like a sister. Her family had moved to the US in June 1999, with the intent to stay for 3 years. Her dad worked at the pentagon. However, they ended up moving back to Australia in June 2000 - after just a year. Had they been there the 3 years, I have no idea what would've happened, and I don't even want to think about it.

Wow.

Anyway, this is how I feel about 9/11 and terrorists. That people have infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have and to make us slaves.

What are your memories of 9/11?

No comments:

Post a Comment