Tuesday, December 10, 2013

In One Another's Shoes

Verse of the day:
Listen now while I make my case, consider my side of things for a change. Job 13:6

I am a big believer in putting yourself in one another's shoes. You don't know how hard their life is or what they are dealing with unless you're them.

I'm also justify behaviour for anyone, saying "she may have thought this," or "he could have had this going on that made him act like that."

I admit, this can be a virtue or a flaw, depending on how much I do it (have you ever heard someone  say that Hitler must've had an awful childhood to make him that heartless? I've said it, and my background is German).

One of my guilty pleasures is 16 & Pregnant, and lots of people think you'd have to be pretty stupid these days to get pregnant in high school. But you know what? At least half of those pregnant girls had horrible parents - no wonder they were looking for love in the wrong places. See? We should hold off on judging unless we know the full story (which is rarely

I think I sometimes justify people's behavior (or a lot of the time), for 2 reasons:

1) I always to see the best in people, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. This intertwines with my gift of encouragement - I'm always encouraging people. I hope this is a part of my character that never goes away.

and

2) I try to understand people and justify their behaviour because I'm not understood very well - at least not by my family. I'll do something or say something, and they won't understand, and no matter how much I try to explain, they just don't get it, so I give up. My brain works differently from my family.

This is not a criticism of my family, it's just the way things are, and I've come to just accept that they'll never understand me. I know my family loves me, and I love them just as much. But sometimes I get lonely, and there are certainly days when I wish someone would understand me.

I'm praying for you guys. I'm praying that you have someone that understands you, and I'm also praying that before judging someone, you at least think about what it must be like to be them and what challenges they may have to face,

No comments:

Post a Comment