Thursday, November 14, 2013

Understanding What It Means To Follow Jesus

Verse of the day:
Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. John 3:1

Today I was reading the story of Nicodemus (if you want to check it out, you can read about it at John 3:1-21, 7:45-51 & 19:39-42).

I don't think I've every read his story before, but I came across it and I was struck by how he didn't understand what it meant to follow Jesus.

He was confused. He didn't understand.

Often we are confused about God or the bible or how to follow Jesus. At the same time, we assume the people in the bible had all the answers, that they automatically understood, and we forget that they actually were confused.

And yet, later, when Jesus had died, Nicodemus helped embalm his body and bury him. Wow. He didn't understand, but he served Jesus anyway.

That blows my mind. We should all be like that. I don't know about you guys, but if I come across a verse I don't understand that I'm supposed to do the S.O.A.P. method on for my bible study, I give up. I just quit my bible study until the next day. I know I shouldn't, but I get discouraged when I don't understand.

If you're wondering how to do the S.O.A.P. method, I do an online bible study as part of the Good Morning Girls website and here is a link on the same site to explain the S.O.A.P. method:

http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/?s=SOAP

Yay! Worked out how to do links!!

Feel free to comment or email me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment